Do you want to win this writing competition?
If you do you need to keep in mind a few key points, the main one being, if there is a theme you must include that theme in your entry. In the second year of this competition we have chosen the theme ‘Child’. This is an apt theme for Umoja Orphanage Kenya. Last year our theme was ‘Africa’.
The theme is subjective. You can interpret the theme in any creative way you wish. As long as you write an engaging story that in some way reflects the theme you have a change of winning the competition.
Here’s some main tips to win:
- Include the theme.
- Write and engaging, flowing, unique and readable entry.
- Do not send your first draft – edit, edit and reedit.
- Be accurate. Don’t include anything you haven’t researched, unless you’re writing fantasy.
- Use realistic dialogue.
- With limited word counts avoid too much exposition – show don’t tell.
- Use all the senses in your descriptions.
- Make your characters come alive. Can your readers cheer for them; dislike them; be intrigued by them?
- Enjoy what you are writing.
Go to Umoja Orphanage Kenya.