My 12 Favourite Things About Being a Writer
To all my non-writing friends, here’s a bit of understanding as to why I’m passionate about writing and call myself a writer.
Writers are a different mob, like painters, sculptures, artists and dreamers, we create. We choose our pursuit because we cannot, not. Writing is an integral part of us and we should embrace our writing self. Give yourself a big hug of encouragement when you start doubting your ability. You were meant to write and enjoy it.
My favourite things about being a writer are:
- I create characters who become my friends (yes even the baddies)
- I’m allowed to daydream
- I’m lucky enough to travel the world (even if it’s only in my mind)
- I get to research the most amazing topics
- I grow from the study of the craft of writing
- Reading is fundamental to writing (and there’s nothing better than relaxing with a book)
- I can openly observed the world going by and draw inspiration from it (I’m not staring I’m observing)
- I can find my characters in my street, where I travel, in my dreams – everywhere!
- I have an excuse to open my laptop or notebook wherever I am (I do not do this on the toilet – ever, but you’ll often find me on the lounge writing, while my family watch TV)
- The written word interest me, even if it’s just a blackboard quote in front of a café.
- My writing desk is my domain and my organised chaos
- I like saying, “I’m a writer”. (Doesn’t it sound exotic and creative?)
The good out-weighs the bad but I do have a few things I don’t like about being a writer. They include:
- Non writer’s think you must have a published book to be a writer
- Writing is not always easy
- People don’t take being a writer seriously as a real job (unfortunately, yes I do have to hold down another job too)
- I can’t read any book without doing a bit of editing or critique
- I nearly always know what will happen at the end of a fiction book (and most TV shows)
- I am open to rejection (but can be euphoric when I get an acceptance)
- I’m too broke to actually travel (Zanzibar on my mind)
- I’m always daydreaming (I love it but it sometimes muddies real life)