Grateful to be an Aussie today and every day
Happy Australia Day to all Aussies new and old.
Yes, that includes newly born, or newly arrived – refugee, immigrants, and those who are born on this great island land.
There’s plenty of reason to be celebrating today (though perhaps the weather isn’t one of them – come on Sunshine!). Here’s my favourites:
- We have freedom and no war torn land. (Particularly our new Syrian refugees I hope you are enjoying this bit the most).
- We have white sandy beaches that we can run our bare feet through towards a salty blue ocean.
- We have a total of 220 sunny days a year (and yes we always hope the farmers receive enough rain).
- We have the opportunity to learn and stay at school (far longer than many developing countries children).
- We have good, and often free, health care compared to most countries overseas (and well-trained health staff).
- We have a sense of humour that is uniquely ours (and I hope we keep it despite so-called political correctness).
- We have comradeship that’s true blue (as shown by ‘Anzac Day‘, ‘The Mud Army‘, ‘Hay Runs‘, ‘Victorian Bushfires‘ and so many more).
- We have unlimited choices in sport and sportsmanship (even those who don’t play sport at lease read and support a sport) (mine is CrossFit).
- We have paths, parks, beaches, schools, walkways, pools, gyms, lookouts, mountains and plenty of other places to stay fit and healthy or just chill and enjoy our country.
- We have the freedom to write a blog, a letter to the editor, a social media post – without our government shutting it down (as is the case in some countries overseas).
- Women are equal (okay we are getting there with pay scale and women’s sports coverage, and due to people like Rosie Batty equality and fairness in each Australian home). At least we have a voice and one that is getting stronger.
- We can live comfortably (even some of our poorest who are helped by our government) compared to many counties overseas.
- We mostly choose to be givers not takers. (It’s a fact that Australians are a generous bunch, regularly volunteering or donating to charity).
- We have untouched places – waterfalls, canyons, inland lakes, rainforests and the fl0ra and fauna living in their abundance.
- We have a Defence Force that is just that defence not attack. A well trained force we can be proud of and lets include our police, ambulance fire and all other frontline workers. We thank you today and every day.
- We have cultural diversity, but keep our uniqueness of our colloquial voice and our sense of humour.
Most of all we are raised in a land of:
Perfection (perfect imperfections that is)
Which should lead us all to happiness.
On top of that we have diversity, abundance, hope, compassion, kindness, respect and we have the power to do anything and be anyone because we are Australian.
Posted on January 26, 2016, in Animals and conservation, Family life, Happiness, Health and fitness, Travel, Women's issues and tagged anzac, Aussie, Australia Day, Australian, beaches, CrossFit, gratitude, island home, Syrian refugees. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.