Hasn’t this year flown? I can barely believe it’s Christmas. It does seem the older we get the quicker our life flies by. It certainly makes me realise that we must slow down and enjoy each moment. We need to pay attention to the smaller things and be grateful for them. I know I can’t actually slow the clock down, but I am trying to be mindful of my life.
How do we do this? For me it’s getting up each morning and breathing in our fresh Australian air. I’m grateful for where I live. I have a nice roof over my head, my family are healthy, I’m fit, I have a job and so does each house member, we cope – now that’s a good start.
But it’s the little things too. I went out to the clothesline the other morning before work. Normally a mundane routine. This day a huge butterfly was fluttering around the garden beside the clothes line. It was like a monarch in oranges and blacks, with a 5cm wing span at least. It slowly fluttered around the fruit trees, coming in and out of the leaves giving me a view of its beautiful wings. I put the washing basket down and just watched it smiling and savoured the moment. I contemplated getting my camera but knew that I would just miss out if I did. Magical.
I’ve been reading some wonderful little quotes lately. Here’s some I remember that will help us to enjoy each instant and hopefully stop our time on this planet from flying by without meaning:
- It’s okay. Some of the best days of your life haven’t happened yet. Just relax and keep going.
- You don’t always need a plan. Sometimes you just need to breathe, trust, let go and see what happens. Mandy Hale
- It’s okay to forget what hurt you, but never forget what it taught you.
- Don’t look for someone who will solve all your problems. Look for someone who won’t let you face them alone.
- Keep calm and eat healthy.
- When we feel love and kindness towards others, it not only makes others feel loved and cared for, but it helps us also to develop inner happiness and peach – Dalai Lama
- May you always be filled with wonder and inner peace.
- Exercise outside to benefit from our planet’s beauty while looking after your health.
- Don’t think about what can happen in a month. Don’t think about what can happen in a year. Focus on the 24 hours in front of you and do what you can to get closer to where you want to be.
- You can only see if you are really looking.
- Smile and you’ll feel happier and you’ll spread it, just like laughter is contagious.
- Smell the roses – frangipani, jasmine, magnolia, camillia and other garden beauties.
- Be kind.
And in light of what happened with the Sydney Siege here’s a great one:
- Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King Jr.
Enjoy the festive season. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, stay safe and enjoy those special moments with family and friends.